Thursday, April 21, 2011

Your kid should read this book

Recently, I noticed that my middle son Joshua posted enthusiastically on facebook about how he liked The Phantom Tollbooth so much that he was reading it again. He'd read it for his enrichment class at school, and it's not that unusual for my kids to read on their own, so I didn't think too much of it. Then BD sent me this link in which Michael Chabon, author of one of the most stunning books of the past decade, talks about how much he loved The Phantom Tollbooth as a kid. So now I really want to read it.

3 comments:

Rita said...

As into fantasy as Alex was, I could not get him to crack that book. It's still here, on a bookshelf, waiting to be read by someone. Katie's tastes are more specific, so I could never get her to try it. I read it when I was in grade school, but remember very little about it.

You'll have to tell me what you think of it now, after having read all the fantasy you have. Let me know how you think it's held up!

~Heidi~ said...

I read that book a number of times as a child after my 3rd grade teacher read it to our class, and bought it as an adult to read again. It's very good.

Shannon said...

max read it for bookclub at school and loved it. i should read it too.