Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inspired

After the inspiring and hopeful tone of today's inauguration, I started thinking about other speeches and essays I've enjoyed. That led me to re-read this essay by potter, writer, and self-sufficient mama extrordinaire, Kelly Averill Savino. Every time I read it, I laugh, tear up, and finish by wanting to give it a standing ovation. On this pass, these lines in particular jumped out at me:

Everywhere there are women sitting in front of the banquet of their lives, a million sustaining, delicious choices -- oblivious, because they are looking back over their shoulders at the good old days, the old boyfriend, the old body, life before kids, the old freedoms.

I may be guilty of a little of that. And while I think that a little of that is normal and maybe inevitable, it's good to be reminded that what we have is this, now. And to throw that away or overlook it is a terrible mistake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's beautiful. And so very true. I could not have read that at a better time in my life.