Tuesday, January 08, 2008

My Eyes! My Eyes!

This has been a tough winter for the Sassy family. And by tough, I mean that someone has been coughing, puking, oozing snot, or shivering with fever at almost all times for months, or at least it seems that way. If you've ever lived with six people and one bathroom, then you know what fear the thought of all six catching a stomach virus at once can strike in my heart. I always think of that scene in "The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood" where Ashley Judd has all of her kids spewing from both ends all over the place. Once it's over, she puts on a coat over her nightgown, drives to the beach, and locks herself in a motel room for a few days. That seems about right.

Right now, both of my eyes are bright red and feel like they are coated with oil. I guess I'll have to drag ass to the minor medical down the street and sit there for an unreasonably long time just to get the antibiotic eye drops I already know that I need. And yes, I've tried the breast milk thing. After many clogged infant tear ducts cleared by a good squirt in the eye, I have resorted to filling a small medicine-dosing syringe with my own milk and dripping it into my eyes. It might help eventually, but I don't have that kind of time. That's why I never get sick--because I do not have time to be sick. It's just a big fat pain in my ass, really.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Gross!

Stephanie said...

I hear ya. All my sick days are reserved for sick kids- there's no time for me to be sick too!

Rita said...

Awww. Just be sure when you get that bottle of gold, er, antiobiotic drops, that you KEEP them on hand. Do not follow the label's instructions that tell you to throw it away when you're done with it, and certainly make a point of ignoring that little diagram that says you shouldn't share them. They're just being greedy. Families share eye goop like a bag of popcorn. Everyone gets a little and a lot gets stuck in the couch cushions.

That bottle will keep for a few years and get you through all sorts of eye troubles in the future.

Memphis Urban Sketchers said...

My mom laughed out loud at that scene. I did not find it funny. At. All.

Stacey Greenberg said...

how sucky!! hope you guys feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Would your own body be immune to your own breast milk drops? Maybe S.A.M. can spare you a squirt.

Sweet Sassy Molassy said...

Hmm...Interesting as that proposition may be, I think it's just that breast milk is no match for the pinkeye.

Memphisotan said...

Oh. Well. Guess I'll change my cocktail hour outfit then.

Chip said...

Whoa! Now THIS I gotta see!