Friday, October 19, 2007

Life Is Beautiful

Last night we kicked off my official birthday weekend by rounding out our usual Thursday takeout Night with Aunt E and Uncle T (with special guests Stacey and the monkeys in attendance) with chocolate cupcakes and ice cream and a present for moi.

Tomorrow I turn 35. I keep wanting to think "that's halfway to 40," when in fact, it's halfway to 70. And you know what? 70 seems young to me. I laugh to remember myself, on the verge of my 25th birthday, sitting with BD and a friend in old Zinnie's and feeling depressingly old as all the kids from my alma mater started to trickle in just when we were preparing to turn in for the night. For some reason, in my mind 25 marked the end of an era. Even though I had been out of college and married for over three years, I still felt young enough to be considered "college aged," an idea that expired, apparently, at 24 years and 364 days.

Then I found out I was pregnant with Calvin, and I forgot all about that silliness. I had already lost one pregnancy, but that loss was what let us know that we were, surprisingly, ready to have a baby. I knew instantly and unquestionably that the baby would be a boy, and I threw myself into the experience of pregnancy and the process of preparing for him. We bought our house, painted rooms, became parents, and I've never looked back.

Now, on the eve of the big Three Five, I feel amazingly good. I am happier in my life than I ever believed I could be. I know I talk enough about how Big Daddy rocks my world and how wonderful my kids are and how we have such incredible friends. So let me just add to that how much I feel, in a way that is impossible to really convey, like me. Like I get it now. Like I can't wait to see what the next 70 years will be like. Bring it on!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I felt really like *me* when I turned 30- I understand exactly!

Happy Birthday!

Memphisotan said...

I'll be just as calm to turn 35 if I can look half as good. It gets a little tiring to be constantly explaining to people that, no, BIg Mama didn't have her first child at 14.

Sassy Molassy said...

Always trying to make me blush.

Stacey Greenberg said...

35's been good. I think I'll freak a little when I turn 40.

Happy Birthday!!

AP said...

Aww, Happy B-day! I'll be 35 in a few months and you make me look forward to it!

Sassy Molassy said...

40 is the new 30. Piece of cake.

Unknown said...

I'm so happy that you blog so I can "remember" your birthday! Happy belated Birthday!

Amy

Anonymous said...

My birthday is next week. I hope I stay as positive as you ( but mine is 47!!)